Frequently Asked Questions
INSTRUCTIONS: The question/title is just text changed to an H1 (Header 1). Then add in a (1) bullet to create the "drop down" panel that will stay hidden until the user clicks on the question/title.
Have there been any attacks since the new mitigation service was implemented?
- Yes, one. The total downtime was approximately three seconds.
Is DDoS protection really necessary?
- Many industry experts considered 2016 “The year of the DDoS-for-Ransom” and it continues today. Arbor Networks observes more than 2000 daily DDoS attacks worldwide. This service will protect your community’s Web and/or citizen service applications provided by QScend.
How frequently have DDoS attack occurred on the QScend network in the past?
- In 2015, there were four attacks that affected the entire network. In the 18 years prior, there were three. That’s an incredible increase.
Is it really that easy for someone to initiate a DDoS attack?
- Yes. Unfortunately, there are complete instructions available online. For $50 or less, an attacker can disrupt our entire network. For $150, an attacker can buy a week-long DDoS attack on the black market, according to TrendMicro Research.
In the event of a DDoS attack, is there a mitigation guarantee time?
- Yes, 15 minutes or less until complete mitigation
We are a small community; we don’t think anyone would target us.
- Smaller, independent communities tend to be at greater risk due to their fixed resources and limited options to stop a DDoS attack. Our last DDoS attack in November was a city of 20K citizens. That attack was so powerful that it affected the entire data center and strained the resources of their Internet providers.
Can we opt out of this protection?
- The protection only works if everyone in the network is protected. To opt-out, you would need to move your hosting to another provider that does not offer DDoS protection services.